Share this article:
Construction Safety Week is focused on highlighting the hazards of electricity and eliminating unnecessary accidents / incidents and near misses involving electricity.
Remember: Live electrical work is specialised and should only be completed by trained personnel.
• Speak up if you perceive there to be a safety issue / uncontrolled hazard.
• Ensure your planning, training and PPE are adequate for the task to be completed
If everybody in the construction industry knows that electricity can cause serious injuries and fatalities, why are people electrocuted every year?
• Lack of Training?
• Trusting others to isolate services / equipment?
What aspects of your business / the construction industry could be improved to eliminate electrical safety hazards?
All feedback is welcome.
• Eliminate live electrical work where practical
• Document your safe plan of work via a RAMS
• Treat all services as live at all times
• Understand in advance the task + the equipment / system to be worked on
• Notify affected personnel before isolating services or equipment
• Safety Isolate the system before working on it – verify zero energy
• Lock and tag out the system (the tag is used to identify the isolator and their contact details)
• Work on potentially live equipment / systems you are not personally in control of (via LOTO)
• Take anyone’s word that a system is isolated / dead (always personally verify the system status)
• Work on any system with the potential to be live without personally applying your Lock & Tag
• Power up any system without verifying all cables are terminated
• never assume an open ended electrical cable is isolated
• Cut into cables without tracing it back to the panel and verifying it is disconnected
• Drill blindly into walls / risers / equipment without first verifying your safety
• Never Use interlock buttons / switches to falsely “isolate” equipment – equipment is only isolated safely when LOTO @ the source(s) of energy
• Remove Locks that you personally did not apply
• be a statistic!!!!!!!
Focus on Electrical Safety:
• TREAT ALL SERVICES AS LIVE
• PERSONALLY VERIFY ZERO ENERGY BEFORE COMMENCING YOUR TASK
• CONTROL SYSTEMS VIA LOCK OUT / TAG OUT
By Mick O’Connor: QSHE Manager – Mercury Engineering