The CIF Safety Committee has been working to address the rising cost of employer’s liability and public liability insurance and issues such as fraud and exaggerated claims since early 2017.
Part of this work included engaging with the Government’s Cost of Insurance Working Group (CIWG). Also, we have been giving our moral support to the Alliance for Insurance Reform (AIR), a group set up specifically to lobby for accelerated change in this area.
This group have managed to keep the issue of insurance reform on the agenda and the 10 main asks are;
PREVENTION of exaggerated and misleading claims being pursued and settled
- Set up the Garda Insurance Fraud Unit funded by Insurance Industry
- Amend Section 8 of the Civil Liability Act 2004 to make it mandatory and reduce the period for reporting accidents to 1 month
- Link Sections 26 and 25 of the Civil Liability Act 2004 so that exaggerated and misleading claims are automatically forwarded to the Gardai for prosecution
- Regulate claims management companies (claims harvesters)
CONSISTENCY in the calculation of awards at realistic and sustainable levels
- Change the approach to calculating the Book of Quantum using the cap and concept of proportionality already established by the Court of Appeal
- Get consistency in the awarding of general damages among judges by requiring judges who award damages in excess of the Book of Quantum to set out a detailed reasoning for doing so.
TRANSPARENCY on how premiums are calculated and claims are settled
- Give control of the data coming from the new National Claims Information Database to the PIAB
- Reinstate the Blue Book overview of the insurance industry
- Reinstate the 2003 IIF/IBEC protocol on dealing with claims
- Scrap and revisit the agreed Large Increases Protocol
At this point, the Alliance for Insurance Reform is seeking further support from CIF members for the campaign in the form of examples / case studies and companies that are prepared to be interviewed about their experiences in all regions of the country.
If you are interested in being involved, please contact Dermot Carey, CIF Director Safety & Training by email : email@example.com or phone : 01 4066057/ 091 514942