Constructing Your Future Competition
The Construction Industry Federation is delighted to say that we had a great response to our 2022/2023 Constructing Your Future competition!
We have heard from Transition Year students, Leaving Cert Applied and Youthreach students, in all sectors of the construction industry and built environment, giving us an idea of their work experience placements.
We are thrilled to announce the winners:
1st Prize: Ellie Boyle, Rosses Community School, Co. Donegal
2nd Prize: Cormac Fitzpatrick, CBS Thurles, Co. Tipperary
3rd Prize: Sean Colgan, St. Colman’s College, Claremorris, Co. Mayo.
Thanks to all who entered!
Watch the winning entries
1st Place – Ellie Boyle
2nd Place – Cormac Fitzpatrick
3rd Place – Sean Colgan
Careers in Construction
Construct your future with a career in construction. The industry offers an impressive array of careers for people from all backgrounds. It is an ever-evolving discipline that relies on those who can breathe new life into creating the built environment. Click on the button to learn more about careers in the construction industry
The construction industry in Ireland offers a wide range of exciting career opportunities for students, and we want to see your stories from a variety of sectors. Working in the industry allows individuals to be creative and innovative, and to see the tangible results of their work in the built environment. Constructing Your Future is your opportunity to document your first step on a diverse range of career paths, from architecture and engineering to project management and construction trades.
What should be included in the video
- We want to see just how much creativity you can squeeze into your short video.
- Outline what you have learned, and take us through what this means for your future.
- Tell us what your typical day involved and the different people you met throughout your work experience.
- Highlight the positives, what you enjoyed and what you felt where the key takeaways of your experience.
Please make sure to include the correct video link when submitting your entry.
When is the closing date?
The closing date for the Construction Your Future competition was midnight 21st April 2023.
How long should the Video be in length?
The video should be no more than 5 minutes in length
When will the winner be announced?
The winning students will be announced at the end of April
Where do I look for a list of Construction companies?
Talk to your teacher, check out the CIF’s member directory, or speak to local construction companies.
How do I upload my Video?
Upload your video submission as a linked URL to either YouTube, Vimeo, or where you are hosting your video file.
How to upload an unlisted video to YouTube:
How to upload an unlisted video to Vimeo:
I haven’t done work experience, can I still enter?
The Constructing Your Future competition is based on gaining work experience in the construction industry and showcasing what you have learned, observed and developed there. This makes participation in work experience a mandatory requirement.
Can I enter more than once?
No, we can only judge the experience from one work placement for each competition participant.
Will my entry be made public?
Submissions may be used as part of the winner announcement postings on a number of digital and print channels, as per the terms and conditions outlined
Do you have any additional resources to help me?
For more information on:
- Construction Industry Federation visit www.cif.ie
- Careers in the construction sector visit CareersPortal.ie
- Apprenticeships visit Generation Apprenticeship
My question is not here. How can I contact someone?
Feel free to reach out to Trish Flanagan at [email protected].
Please ensure that you (referred to as the “User”, “you” or “your”) read these TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF USE with care. If you do not accept them, please do not enter into this competition.
- This website is owned and operated by Construction Industry Federation (referred to as “CIF”, “we”, “us” or “our”), which expression shall also include associated companies including, where the context requires, our third party suppliers and any other person involved with the provision or maintenance of this Site.
- The information provided on the pages of this website, including these TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF USE may not be up to date and is subject to change and revision by Construction Federation of Ireland from time to time without notification. Any such change or revision shall be made for bona fide operational technical or commercial reasons. You should periodically revisit this Site to review the then current information including these TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF USE as you will be deemed to have accepted any changes.
- While every effort has been made to ensure accuracy ‘we’ cannot accept responsibility for errors or omissions. Neither ‘CIF’ nor any third parties who may provide information to https://cif.ie/constructing-your-future/ for dissemination purposes shall have any responsibility for or be liable in respect of the content or the accuracy of the information so provided, or for any errors or omissions therein.
- In accessing this website, the User accepts that information messages and electronic mail passing over the Internet may not be free from interference by third parties. Consequently, ‘CIF’ cannot guarantee the privacy or confidentiality of any information relating to the User passing over the Internet. The User shall be responsible for the content of all communications, including its lawfulness, truthfulness and accuracy.
- You may print or download on any single computer one copy of the contents of these pages for your personal, non-commercial home use. All rights not expressly granted by us in these TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF USE are hereby reserved.
- These TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF USE are limited in scope and are not intended to be fully binding. For a full list of TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF USE, please contact us directly.
Each visitor to this Site who provides information to ‘CIF’ grants the latter the totality of the transferable rights related to this information and authorizes it to make whatever use it wishes of it. The information thus provided by the visitors will be considered non-confidential, must be exact and lawful and must not prejudice the interests of third parties.
More specifically concerning the personal data collected on the Site, visitors are informed that the Site uses several processing operations whose purpose is to ensure the communication and exchange of information with visitors.
The data collected:
Are for internal use only and are directed to those responsible for handling the visitor’s request,
Are kept only as long as necessary to carry out the purposes defined above.
- Entrants must seek the permission of of the host company to submit an entry
- Entries must not include inappropriate language or material, gratuitous violence, sexual references or statements or material that, in the Promoter’s opinion, promote hatred towards an individual, race, or community or which are offensive, illegal, inflammatory, obscene, unsuitable for minors, abusive, indecent, threatening, or otherwise unlawful.
- By submitting an Entry, each Student warrants that:
all details provided with the Student’s Entry are true and accurate;
the Student’s Entry, and the Innovation submitted as part of that Entry, is wholly comprised of original work, created and owned by the Student, and has not previously been communicated to the public; the Student has all necessary rights and licenses to grant the rights set out in these Competition Terms;
In the event of any non-compliance the Promoter may, in its discretion, determine that the Student’s Entry is not valid and is excluded from the Competition.
Competition, Winners and Prizes
Finalists will be determined by a Competition judging panel consisting of representatives of ‘CIF’.
During the initial judging, a minimum of Three (3) finalists will be chosen by the Competition judging panel. Those Finalists will then receive the relevant prize set out on https://cif.ie/constructing-your-future/
The winner(s) of the Competition will be determined by a final judging panel consisting of representatives of the ‘CIF’. These judges will be determined by the ‘CIF’ in its discretion based on industry expertise and reputation. These experts will choose one Finalist to win €400 Ticket Master Voucher prize , one Finalist to win a GoPro Camera, and one Finalist to win a Apple Airpods.
If a judging panel is unable to make a unanimous decision, they will decide Winners by a simple majority vote of the members of the panel.
The Prize values and description are correct at time of printing, but no responsibility is accepted for any variation in the value or the nature of any Prize. Prizes supplied by a third party are subject to availability. In the event that any prize is unavailable for whatever reason, ‘we’ reserves the right to substitute any prize for a prize of equal or greater value.
If a Winner has not been in contact with the Promotor to claim the Prize within 21 days of a notification telephone call or email, the Promoter reserves the right to offer the Prize to the next eligible entrant selected by the relevant judging panel. The Promoter does not accept any responsibility if a Winner is not able (or otherwise fails) to take up the Prize. In that event, the new Winner will be selected in accordance with the Competition Terms.
Second and third prize may be replaced by a voucher of stated value from a high street electronics sales retailer.
Limitation of Liability
To the full extent permitted by law, the ‘CIF’, its affiliates, representatives, agents or distributors will not in any circumstances be responsible or liable to compensate Students or Institutions, or accept any liability for:
- any incorrect or inaccurate information;
- any technical error that may occur in the course of the administration of this Competition;
- any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, loss or delay of any Entry or otherwise in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorised access to or alteration of a Student’s Entry or the running of the Competition; or
- any injury, damages, expenses, cost, liability or loss whatsoever (whether direct, indirect or consequential) to Students or Institutions or their respective property as a result of any person entering into the Competition or accepting or using any Prize, including without limitation non-receipt or damage to any Prize. These Competition Terms do not exclude any rights that cannot be excluded.
Data Protection and Privacy
The Promoter collects, holds and processes personal information about Students and Institutions to include Students and Institutions in the Competition, administer the Competition, to award prize.If the personal information requested is not provided, a Student or Institution will be ineligible to participate.
Students agree that the Promoter may, in the event they become a Finalist or Winner, publish or cause to be published their personal information, name, photograph or likeness and locality in any media globally, without compensation. The Promoter may request the winners to participate in publicity calls and marketing during the Competition and after the selection of the winners.
Students may only submit one Entry.
The ‘CIF’ reserves the right to amend these Terms at its sole discretion, by posting updated Terms at https://cif.ie/constructing-your-future/. By continuing to participate in the Competition, or accepting any Prize, Students are deemed to accept the amended Terms.
Each Student must keep their Entry, and their Innovation, confidential, and not disclose any information about their Entry or their Innovation to any third party, except as required by law or permitted by the ‘CIF’ or these Competition Terms. This confidentiality obligation continues until the date that the Winners are announced by the Promoter, and does not apply to any information in the public domain (other than if due to a breach of these Competition Terms).
The ‘CIF’ may at its own discretion refuse Students entry to the Competition or to award any prize if Students fail to comply with these Terms, the law, or if, in the ‘CIF’s’ opinion, a Student involvement with the Competition may cause adverse publicity to the ‘CIF’.
Students retain ownership of any Intellectual Property Rights in their Entries and Innovations subject to these Terms. Students will grant the ‘cif’ and its affiliated companies or nominees a worldwide, perpetual, irrevocable, sub-licensable, royalty free license to use the Intellectual Property Rights in Students’ Entries (and any component of Entries) for the purposes of the Competition and any promotional and marketing purposes without notice and without any fee being paid, including (without limitation) to use, display, publish, transmit, copy, edit, alter, store, communicate to the public, re-format and sub-licence Entries.
Students acknowledge the ‘CIF’ and its affiliated companies may exercise the global, non-exclusive right to communicate Students’ Entries in whole or in part to the public on any media platform.
Students acknowledge the ‘CIF’ and its affiliated companies may allow other persons to view, reproduce, download and otherwise deal in the copyright works attached to and embodied in Entries.
Upon entry, Students waive their Moral Rights (described below) and any other similar rights in the Entries and Innovations and consent to any act or omission that would otherwise infringe moral or similar rights. In these Terms, Moral Rights includes:
- a right of attribution of authorship;
- a right not to have authorship falsely attributed;
- a right of integrity of authorship; and
- any right of a similar nature which is conferred by statute and which exists or comes to exist anywhere in the world.
If for any reason the conduct or operation of the Competition is not capable of proceeding as planned, is interfered with, or disrupted in any way, the ‘CIF’ reserves the right to cancel, terminate, suspend, modify or recommence the Competition. The ‘CIF’ may amend these Terms at its discretion. The latest version of the Terms will be available at https://cif.ie/constructing-your-future/.
All decisions made by the Promoter regarding the Competition are final and the ‘CIF’ will not enter into any correspondence with Students