Injured person sustained a broken finger when impacted by a folding concrete chute.
Why it Happened?
- Operative A was performing the role of spotter while a concrete lorry was reversing.
- Operative A pulled the lorry’s chute into position, the end of the folded chute.
- Not realising that Operative A had his hand on the end of the chute, his colleague (Operative B), flipped-over the extension piece of the chute, catching the finger of Operative A between the 2 folding sections.
- This resulted in Operative A breaking his index finger.
Immediate Learnings / Recommendations
- The concrete pump operator is responsible for operating equipment.
- Operatives must follow the directions of the pump operator if assisting.
- Operative must use the handles provided to manoeuvre the concrete chute.